Linkek a témában:
Fort Worden is a fort and Fort Worden State Park is a state park that it includes it, located in Port Townsend along Admiralty Inlet in the U.S. state of Washington. It is situated on 433 acres (175 ha) originally built as a United States Army installation for the protection of Puget Sound. Fort Worden was named after U.S. Navy Rear Admiral John Lorimer Worden, commander of the USS Monitor during the American Civil War.
Bradleys Head Fortification Complex
Construction of the fort began in 1840-42 and consisted of a gun pit and firing wall that was built out of large blocks of sandstone and carved partly from the original rock that was located on site. The earlier stages of construction during this period were done with the supervision of Major George Barney, a Commanding Royal Engineer who used hired labour that was supplied by Governor Gipps.
In 1871 the fortification received an additional barracks. The barracks were constructed from large sandstone blocks and carved out of the existing rock on the headland. The 1871 barracks were designed and constructed under the direction of James Barnet, a colonial architect. This most recent addition consisted of three gun pits and had connecting galleries for the riflemen. The upgrade of 1871 was complementary to some of the larger fortifications being constructed during the same period on Middle Head, South Head, Georges Heights and Georges Head.
The site is now part of the Sydney Harbour Federation Trust.
Fort Gaines is a historic fort on Dauphin Island, Alabama, United States. It was named for Edmund Pendleton Gaines. Established in 1821, it is best known for its role in the Battle of Mobile Bay during the American Civil War.
Exhibits include the huge anchor from the USS Hartford, Admiral David Farragut's flagship on which he gave his world famous command, "Damn the torpedoes – full speed ahead!" The fort also has the original cannons used in the battle, five pre-Civil War brick buildings in the interior courtyard, operational blacksmith shop and kitchens, tunnel systems to the fortified corner bastions, and similar features. A museum details the history of this period, as well as the French colonial presence beginning in the late 1600s. The fort was partially modernized for the Spanish-American War. It is a tourist destination with tours and historical reenactment events. The site is considered to be one of the nation's best-preserved Civil War era masonry forts and has been nominated for listing as a National Historic Landmark.
Significant masonry damages have been sustained during hurricanes and tropical storms in the past decade. Though these damages have been largely repaired, the fort continues to be under threat from erosion. The fort sits on east end of Dauphin Island, only meters from the Gulf of Mexico. Ongoing erosional losses of sand dunes and beach total up to 10 feet per year. For these reasons, the Civil War Preservation Trust placed Fort Gaines on its History Under Siege listing on March 18, 2009. The listing identifies the ten most endangered Civil War battlefields in the United States.
Fort Lowell was a United States Army post active from 1873 to 1891 on the (then) outskirts of Tucson, Arizona. Fort Lowell was the successor to Camp Lowell, an earlier Army installation. The Army chose a location just south of the confluence of the Tanque Verde and Pantano creeks, at the point where they form the Rillito Wash, due to the year-round supply of water. The Hohokam Indians had chosen the site centuries early, presumably for the same reason. Even to this day, shards of Hohokam pottery can still be found in the area. The Army claimed a military reservation that encompassed approximately 80 square miles and extended east toward the Rincon Mountains.
Fort Grant, Arizona
Fort Grant, located in the U.S. state of Arizona, is a state prison and a former U.S. Army installation. Fort Grant began its life as an Old West fort in Arizona Territory, built in 1860 at Aravaipa Canyon as "Old Camp Grant."
Fort Grant, circa 1885.
In 1872, the U.S. Army fort was relocated to the southwestern slope of Graham Mountain in what is now Graham County. The fort was strategically placed so as to protect settlers who were constantly harassed by Apache warriors. It played a prominent role in the Apache Wars of the 1880s. It was repurposed in 1900 as a staging point for soldiers going to the Philippines to fight the Philippine Insurrection.
Henry McCarty, also known as William Antrim, William Bonney and "Billy the Kid", reportedly settled in the vicinity of Fort Grant in 1876 working as a ranch-hand and tending sheep nearby. In 1877 McCarty killed a local blacksmith at a saloon and gambling house that is now called the Bonita Store, located a few miles from Fort Grant. McCarty was taken into custody at the Fort Grant stockade, but escaped to New Mexico before he could be tried.
Komáromi erődök, várak, erődök más országokban:Írország, Amerika, Portugália, Hollandia, Franciaország erődjei. Erődépítészet, örökségturisztikai folyóirat, bunkerek, múzeumok.
Ön azt választotta, hogy az alábbi linkhez hibajelzést küld a lap.hu oldal szerkesztőjének. Kérjük, írja meg a szerkesztőnek a megjegyzés mezőbe, hogy miért találja a lenti linket hibásnak, illetve adja meg e-mail címét, hogy az észrevételére reagálhassunk!